Studio Oscar


Project Details

A retail installation by the Wilson Brothers for Nike’s East London 1948 space.

Starting at the bottom: the new floor covering is Nike GRIND, a 100% recycled rubber sport surface. 10% (minimum) of the content is made up from the soles of actual recycled training shoes, so approx. 900 pairs for this 120 square metre space! The new floor adds bounce + warmth to the space, is very sustainable, and the same
material used around the main pitch at MUFC.

1948 is the weekly meeting place for RUN-DEM-CREW, a local urban running club. Our ‘Running Man’ floor graphic incorporates 3 maps used by the the club. The red (5k), yellow (8k) and green (10k) – routes reference local tube lines in the area that are passed on the respective runs, with a visual nod to (club founder) Charlie Dark’s weekly Reggae running podcasts. The line width is the same as traditional sports pitch markings, and ‘X’ marks 1948 on the map.

A set of 12 modular units form the basis of the display system for the store’s new look interior. Referencing tiered stadium / grandstand seating (universal to most spectator sports) – the steel and laminated plywood units are fitted with wheels for easy mobility and can be quickly re-positioned in unlimited configurations.
Equally use able as 3 level table-top displays for merchandising, or as auditorium seating for events – back to back the stepped units resemble a classic ‘winners’ podium’.
Detachable (and multi-positional) hanging rails reference the sea of goal-posts at near-by Hackney Marshes.

A 6×8m neon football pitch installation, hanging horizontally from the ceiling, completes the space. The central NESW compass incorporates the Nike Sports Wear brand + 1948’s East London location.

Photography by Roger Harris